The Black Jumpsuit/Gloves
The ILM-made Biker Scouts wore some sort of black, motorcycle racing suit under their armor. Unfortunately, no one has been able to identify the make/model of the screen-used suits. The costuming community feel that they wereindeed motorcycle racing suits due to the suede crotch panels and custom tailored look that the screen-used suits display.
For now fans are using flight suits or black work coveralls for their biker scout jumpsuits. You will need to seam-rip all external pockets and ID panels off the outside of the flight suit to ensure the clothing conforms to your body properly. If you do not, the cloth material will bunch up in these areas and your biceps, shoulder bells and kneepads might not stay in place like you want them to.
A number of people have sewn suede linings to the jumpsuit crotch area to match the ILM jumpsuit. Not only is a suede panel present, but a 1.5 inch wide elastic band wraps around the outside of each leg at mid thigh. This elastic is sewn into the seamline of the suede panels. -reference image coming soon-
A squarish panel of black suede also hangs over the back of the bottocks area. Most fans are sewing this suede patch to the belt line of the jump suit, allowing it to hang down like the movie used costumes.
If a jump suit is not available in your area, I suggest using a pair of black pants and a black turtle neck shirt. Polyester or synthetic fiber is a good choice for the shirt and pants, for it will not fade as you wash your costume from time to time (you do wash the costume after wearing it, correct?).
Ted's Military Surplus and SportsmansGuide.com has the best price around for flight suits. IF those two are not able to get you flight suits, then try onlinesales4less.com , US Calvary or Ranger Joes.
The leather gloves used by ILM were ESPIRIT motorcycle gloves, built in the early 1980's. Espirit discontinued these gloves after a short run and they do not offer them anymore. Very rarely someone finds a pair for sale on Ebay.com. If you run across a pair or two, please help me in completing my screen accurate costume and contact us about a pair available. Thanks.
Identifiying details about the screen-used gloves:
- Leather (black)
- Gauntlet style
- 4 ribs along knuckle area
- "V" shape stitching in back of the gauntlet (where plastic zipper has been removed)
- Suede leather (black) around the thumb and neighboring two fingers
- Cut-away palm strap visible in side seams of glove
- Padded liner inside of gauntlet has been removed
- Dale at email@example.com sells a custom made replica pair of Espirt gloves. Suede on the fingers, 4 ribs on the knuckles, and V-zipper in the gauntlet. Email him for prices and availability.
The second best looking glove on the market is a no-name brand glove sold at JC Whitney Catalogs. They can be purchased at the JC Whitney Website for around 35.99 USD.
A less accurate gauntlet-style glove, but still useable, can be found at http://ebikerleather.com for $19.99 USD.
Item # BGL2066 ... Sizes: XS-3XL.
- The JC Whitney and the EBikerLeather gloves are winter gloves so you will need to rip out the thermal liner on the inside and perhaps replace it with a thin nylon replacement liner, as to protect your fingers from the black leather dye. Ripping the liner out is not that hard. You just need to carefully take a razorblade-like instrument and cut the liner as close as possible to the inside seam that is at the opening at the back of the glove.
©2010 Studio Creations - All Rights Reserved